Hey everyone! Time for EZL to breakdown Vainglory’s Update 2.6, in which we are introduced to the paladin of Gythia, Grace. She’s able to eradicate her enemies with her mace, while at the same time continually lowering her ability cooldowns with her heroic perk. She also comes packed with massive single target heals and the ability to generate holy shields to protect her team. Be sure to grab her for ICE to get ahead of the rest of the pack, and don’t forget about her Talents!
Along with the new hero, we’re going to see a few new skins rolling out. The most notable of these is for the ever elusive pilot Skye, who’s now going to be grounded with her ‘Ride or Die’ skin. The Super Evil Megacorp (SEMC) team is really stretching their fingers with this never-before-seen model change, redesigning the mech to transform into a sports motorcycle! Make sure you grab the smoke-trailing, blue and purple laser shooting skin for ICE, or if you’re feeling lucky, take your chances with the special Ride or Die Mystery Chest, which offers a 1/20 chance of grabbing her skin!
Next on the list is ‘Evolution’ Samuel, rocking a binary Vainglory logo… we get it SEMC, you’re showing off. Check out the mage fully immersing himself with technology, with cyborg prosthetics and pixelated abilities. It’s the beginning of the end, don’t miss your chance to join him. Grab his skin for 1499 ICE or his skin and Talent bundle for 1999 ICE!
It seems Krul isn’t the only deathless character out there now… introducing the Slavic ‘Deathless’ Reim rare skin! Make sure you grab this withered skin in game, featuring an ice forged staff and a helmet adorned with golden wolves.
Last, and definitely not least, we’re introduced to ‘School Days Koshka’, the latest installment in the School Days set of skins. Available for purchase either directly or in a Talent bundle, you don’t want to be late grabbing this fuzzy pawed feline, equipped with danger claws and kitty face stockings. This frenzied character is one you definitely want on your side – trust me, her claws don’t get trimmed often.
Aside from the new skins, we’re going to see a few market improvements. Vainglory welcomes back the old Mystery Chests (Thank you PlayoffBeard!), so when you want Talents you’ll need to buy a Talent Chest, as Mystery Chests now contain heroes, skins, glory and opals only. Also, for those of you who accidentally wasted all your glory by bulk buying that epic Saw Talent, ‘hold to confirm’ is now set up to stop this from happening again!
Live Game Improvement
Vainglory is moving onto their next view for 2017! With Talents already out, it’s time to see our live game improvements. Replacing the question ping is now a verbal cue for our question mark spams: the message button. Now you can tell that feeding Ringo to buy some defense, your drunk Ardan to grab some vision, your jungle baby Reim to push the lane for the win, and much, much more. Tired of roamers buying 12 minute fountains, or not getting an Atlas Pauldron early when there is an enemy Saw? How about having your weapon power teammate build a Poison Shiv because an Ozo isn’t leaving you alone? Well now you can let them know by suggesting ANY item to a specific teammate during the match.
Not only are item suggestions now a thing, but so are cooldown messages. Wanting to tell your team to wait before engaging because your ult isn’t up? How about timing everything for the perfect Impale & Big Red Button combo? Well now, with the push of a button, you can let your teammates know how long it will be until you can Bangarang or Gauntlet to shut the enemy team down. It seems SEMC is really listening to us, especially with them also bringing back our three quest slots again! Hello more rewards!
Briefly touching on Blitz: are you tired of going 0-4 but putting in 12 objective points on your own to win the game? Blitz is now going to show individual scores instead of KDA so you finally can get the recognition you deserve. Additionally, Talents get a nice change, as you’re now able to see them on the hero select screen. It’s great for those of us who forget which legendary talents we own.
But we’re missing the big point, the Summer season is now on! Use those season payouts to grab the hero you’ve been drooling over, or even max out some Talents to dominate brawls or private matches with friends. Bigger payouts are heading our way this season, so make sure you get your guilds leveled up this season! Of course, let’s not forget the soft reset of Visual Skill Tier (VST). When you log-in after the update goes live, you’ll see a drop of about one skill tier (with the change being higher or lower depending on your decay and overall tier), but don’t worry! If you don’t feel like grinding your rank back up to Vainglorious, your highest tier is still immortalized in your trophies. Additionally, for those of you who either plan on jumping into the pool with your phone in your pocket – or do so without meaning to – your skill tier now has a decay floor! This means that VST won’t decay indefinitely, so if it takes a few weeks to get a new phone, Hotness players won’t find themselves back at Credible Threat.
Here’s something that everyone really cares about: changes to matchmaking. Update 2.6 introduces a new matchmaking algorithm, so be on the lookout for fairer matches and shorter queue times (Enmitous: Thank goodness, no more 30 minute waits in queue… *shudders*). Vainglory is also one step closer to reintroducing the ‘one tier’ rule, meaning players can only create ranked parties with friends either one skill tier higher or lower, which looks to be an important step forward for fairness while ranking.
Hero and Balance Change
- The monster of solo queue, Baron, is getting his basic attack weapon damage nerfed from 130% to 125%… trust me, that smaller rocket launcher will feel a lot less powerful.
- Aggressive Flicker mains rejoice! Mooncloak is getting a huge decrease in cooldown.
- Grumpjaw was hurting a bit too much a bit too quickly, and without repercussion. Now, he’ll eat you less often and won’t retain his Living Armor stacks for as long.
- Kestrel is next on the list, and we can now look forward to a longer Adrenaline duration – meaning you get a better chance of reducing your energy costs – with her Glimmershot reload time also being shortened significantly.
- Krul hasn’t been played much in recent metas, so it’s time to get him back out on the Fold. Higher base weapon damage and a shorter ‘From Hell’s Heart’ cooldown gives him a much stronger early game to keep up with everyone.
- SEMC finally saw that Lance was boasting a bit too much Crowd Control potential. To correct this, his Gythian Wall cooldown has been extended. Also, Lance apparently wasn’t doing enough damage after his Combat Roll, so be expecting slightly harder hits from that Tension Bow-building Lance.
- Samuel has always been able to dish out some serious damage, but absolutely needs his Drifting Dark, which KILLS his energy, especially when partnered with spamming Malice and Verdicts. Now, energy cost of his A has been lowered substantially, so expect more damage coming your way before Samuel runs out of energy.
- Lastly, it seems Vox has remained slightly stronger than intended, so a little drop on his attack speed to bring him in line with other heroes should balance him out nicely.
- Poisoned Shiv is the only item being adjusted this update, being nerfed from 35% attack speed to 30% to make it more situational rather than the singular most powerful option in many cases.
- Blitz is also receiving a balance change with a weakened middle sentry, as it was hitting a bit too hard.
- Numerous talents received buffs and nerfs, including Idris’s crazy Path of the Seeker, Blackfeather’s Hummingbird Heart and Alpha’s Core Overclock, which were all reduced in effectiveness.
Update 2.6 is a huge update pushing Vainglory towards its second big goal in 2017. SEMC have really listened to us when making changes and improvements, which bodes really well. Hopefully, we’ll see many more community ideas rolling out in the future, as we get closer to the much-anticipated release of 5v5.
Article written by Enmitous and KerryX, and edited by hoIIand